Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Things You Should Know About. Now!

Today is One Day Without Shoes, an annaul event conceived and created by TOMS shoes to remind people that not everyone in the world is fortunate enough to own a pair of shoes. Whether you'll take the challenge by walking barefoot around your office, the streets, or wherever you may find yourself today, it serves as a good reminder that those of us with a closet full of shoes are very fortunate indeed. In case you're not familiar with TOMS, for every shoe that is purchased, a pair is sent overseas to a child in need. I'm such a huge fan of TOMS shoes that I bestowed them upon my bridesmaids as a thank-you gift at my wedding. Not only do I believe in the cause, but choosing the right pair for each girl was so much fun!

I recently watched an Iranian film entitled Children of Heaven, in which a small boy loses his sister's only pair of shoes. They then have to share his worn pair shoes while trying to conceal from their father that her shoes are missing. It's a very endearing story. I'd like to think that eventually he got himself a nice pair of (complimentary) TOMS!

Here are a couple of TOMS styles that I love. I saw a girl at the airport this week rocking the wedges; they looked awesome! She had them on with a straight-legged pair of jeans, but they would go with bootcut or skinnies too. I shamelessly wear my TOMS with just about everything.  









Thread Show (this weekend!)

For you San Francisco folk, this Sunday is the Thread show at the Metreon. Thread events showcase local designers and cutting edge fashion. Shop, sip cocktails, enjoy beats from the DJ...and don't forget to take advantage of the clothing swap! Be sure to RSVP on the web site if you plan to go. Hope to see you there!


Balenciaga and Spain at the de Young Museum

The de Young houses some amazing fashion exhibits, and the new Balenciaga and Spain show promises to be no exception. Running through July 4, 2011, the exhibition highlights the influence of Spanish culture on the masterful designer Cristobal Balenciaga. The show was curated by Hamish Bowles, which to me, adds an additional layer of intrigue. Has anyone seen it yet? I'd love to hear about it if you have!


1 comment:

  1. Love the Tom's wedges- great idea!!
    JV

    ReplyDelete