Friday, September 23, 2011

Jailbird

Why is it that black and white stripes always conjure up an association with prison? 


As most of you know, I used to teach in a prison. Truth be told, I saw a lot of green and the occasional orange (for those special inmates on "RP"--revoked privileges, or something to that effect), but never any stripes. One of my favorite stories from "the joint" goes a little something like this: one of my "students" conveyed to me a conversation he had had with his mother, trying to convince her to nominate me for one of the fashion makeover shows. I'm not making this up. He thought I dressed so poorly that I desperately needed professional help. What he didn't know was that I was trying to look as unattractive as possible, as a twenty-something female employee at an all-male correctional facility. Looking fabulous and finding myself an incarcerated boyfriend wasn't exactly high on my list of priorities. 

Alas, here is an homage of sorts to my days in prison, and to not being nominated for "What Not to Wear." Let the record stand that if anyone wants to put me on that show so I get a $5K shopping spree, I would not hold it against you!



Don't mind my crazy hair



Dress: Josh Brody * Shoes: Ash Italia * Nails: Essie - turquiose & caicos

No comments:

Post a Comment